Monday, November 5, 2012

Happy Birthday Cascading Card

When I had to come up with a special card for a special friend: I thought about a recent card style: Concertina Fold Card or a Cascading Card recently posted on Splitcoast Stampers here. The original inspiration is from Chris (her blog:CallaLillyStudioBlog.blogspot.com: she calls it her Retail Therapy Birthday - her blog here). Chris has many different variations of this type of card (all so very clever and cute). Here is my version using White card stock as the base. I used the car from SVGcuts.com, their SVG cut file (with a video tutorial) from the Rock & Rollin Collection and Sizzix Clearence Sizzlits dies: Avery in Bikini, Cloe, Cloe w/bags, MacKenzie w.bags. I'm not sure if these Sizzlit dies are still available or not. I've had them for a while and finally got to use them for this project. Finished card size: 4-3/4" x 6-1/4".
A close-up of the "girls" - don't they all look so happy shopping?
Top view to show card construction:
Side views:
Back stamped message is from Papertrey Ink: Big Birthday Wishes stamp set found here:
Car license plate and words on shopping bags are computer generated. A silver pen was used to go around the headlights. Clear acetate used to back the windshield and a 11/4" with 1-3/8" circle punch used for the steering wheel.
Here are photos how I assembled this card:
Use the Big Shot to cut out the "girls" as shown:
Shopping bags are scraps of paper from my stash.  Handles are using SU Small and Large Oval Punches.
For the "girls" in the front seat: add foam tape to act as a "stopper". Add foam tape to the car front as shown:
Make acetate pockets for the back seat girls to slip into.
I loved making this fun card....................thank you for stopping by today!

9 comments:

Jan Castle said...

Looks quite complicated...but knowing you, it was easy peasy - for you that is! LOL! Really cute card Patti!
Paper Hugs,
Jan

Carrie K said...

What an awesome card! I am sure she loved it!!

cropsticks said...

Thank you Patti for one of the best birthday cards ever!!! Your details to make this a special card is amazing.

eunice said...

OMG! This cascading birthday card is nothing short of fabulous. What a clever use of those sizzix girl dies, Patti! Darn, now I wish I had bought them too. Your creative genius never ceases to amaze me!

Chris said...

You did a fabulous job on your Birthday card! I love the expressions on the women's faces!! So cool! Thank you for your kind comments regarding my "Retail" Therapy card! I had such fun with the Cascading card techinque! Yours is FABOOO!!!

Colleen said...

What a fabulous b-day card for your friend Frances. I love the die cuts that you used to represent different friends. Love all the shopping bags too.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic card, Patti. Must try this 'cause I have those dies.
Love how you colored the girls!
So vibrant.
What did you use?

PJ

Gaby said...

Wow.......stunning.
So creative. Really love that card.

Have a nice weekend!

Lacey Laughlin said...

Speaking about the main difficulties in shopping, the bags for it is the main one for me. It is no joy and happiness on taking the heavy bags with me. Here online shopping with such a great tracker as Alitools is the best choice. I liked it from the first usage.